November 2017
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30


why you should donate to No on 8, even if you don't live in California / GA maybe turning purple?


In California, this year's ballot contains a proposition which would outlaw same-sex marriage. I personally believe all marriage should be extra-legal, but since I have no chance of making that happen, I want it to at least be equal legally. I'm making a small donation ('cause I can't afford a larger one right now) to help keep same-sex marriage legal in CA.

One of my friends wrote an excellent piece on why you should donate to No on 8, even if you don't live in California. Please do check it out and donate if you are moved to -- the deadline is this Friday at midnight Pacific time. I'll quote the part that made me realize just how important this is: "California has 12% of the U.S. population. Massachusetts and Connecticut combined have 3% of the U.S. population. With a total of 15% of the U.S. population living in states where same-sex marriage is legal, we will have a vastly better chance of changing federal marriage laws as well than with only 3%."

In other news Georgia may turn purple this year. This excites me very much because I want Georgia to become a swing state :D I love balance ♥ (not to mention my vote & voice has more power in a swing state XD) And then there's the idea of being purple, haha.

sounds: Kate Havnevik -- "I Don't Know You"
connecting: ,

back to top

Comments
adamantplatypus ══╣╠══
I'm possibly way off base here, but is it possible to vote on it if you're not a California resident?

I was under the impression that state specific issues are not cross-votable to other states (IE: it won't be on anyone else's ballot), only the people that have a valid address there.
adamantplatypus ══╣╠══
Oh, well, there's the issue: I can't read. It says donate, not vote. OOPS! :D
belenen ══╣amused╠══
hee hee ;-)
febrile_lune ══╣╠══
I think it is insane (in a good way!) that Georgia might turn purple! This race is so dynamic.

8 better not pass! But I think it will :\ THANKS SO MUCH FOR DONATING. It means a lot. The majority of my donations have gone to Barack Obama's campaign but I made small donations to a few props as well, 8 being priority.

I see so many "yes on 8" lawn signs, I want to scream.
belenen ══╣snarling╠══
it IS so dynamic! I love that, I love the sense of hope people have this time, instead of just saying "it doesn't matter if I vote *cynical negativity*"

Ugh, that is so awful. It's bad enough to prevent it from becoming law, but to UNDO a law that grants a freedom??? UGH.
lindsey_locke ══╣╠══
Awesome! I live in Georgia, and had no idea we were on the verge of being a swing state. I'm glad I made my boyfriend vote early.

We'll totally rock the Obama vote, and take the purple-y credit! :)
belenen ══╣effervescent╠══
eeeee! yay! :D I went to vote early but the line was too long so I'll be voting tomorrow!
smurfb1ue ══╣we cannot let injustice thrive╠══
I recently wrote a paper in my Marriage & Family class about why Christians should vote to legalize same-sex marriage and, though I go to a conservative Christian university, my professor said the implications were very well thought through. So, there is hope even in the Evangelical Christian community to vote for rights and equality for all.
belenen ══╣giving╠══
ohhhh, wow, cool!!! ♥ ♥ ♥
lady_hoshi ══╣Beautiful rose╠══
Thank you for the support. I really hope this prop doesn't pass.
belenen ══╣progressing╠══
me too! *hopes and prays*
on communication, social justice, intimacy, consent, friendship & other relationships, spirituality, gender, queerness, & dreams. Expect to find curse words, nudity, (occasionally explicit) talk of sex, and angry ranting, but NEVER slurs or sexually violent language. I use TW when I am aware of the need and on request.
Expect to find curse words, nudity, (occasionally explicit) talk of sex, and angry ranting, but NEVER slurs or sexually violent language. I use TW when I am aware of the need and on request.